Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly : A movie review

Yesterday (1-10-08) I saw a fabulous cinema “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”.
I cannot express how strongly I was moved by this film. I was accompanied by the strongest person whom I know, Lynn, my wife. You MUST see it!! I cried uncontrollably (which I am physically incapable of). I enclose, here, a review copied from the local newspaper, The Hartford Courant.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Synopsis
In 1995 at the age of 43, Elle France editor Jean-Dominique Bauby suffered a stroke that paralyzed his entire body, except his left eye. Using that eye, he blinked out his memoir and eloquently described the aspects of his interior world, from the psychological torment of being trapped inside his body to his imagined stories from lands he had only visited in his mind.


The cinematography in this film was exceptional. Coming from someone who understands what it must feel like to be JD (yet the comparison stops there), one truly felt as though one had exchanged bodies, via the filming technique. In my humble opinion, one could truly sense the frustration of having lost the ability to communicate, while, in his mind, he knew very well what it should feel like to be a participant. One must truly be amazed by the determination and patience of JD and, in part, of his wife and of his speech therapist.

No comments: