Thursday, November 22, 2007

Saul Raisin also suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury

If you know me personally or based on the content of my BLOG, such as the photo of me and Lappie riding my exercise bike in my basement, or from my BLOG posting “About Me”, or from the photo of me on my FatWheels training wheels, I am, obviously, a bicycling enthusiast. I am captivated by the story of Saul Raisin, featured in the October 2007 issue of Bicycling magazine, entitled "Yes, You are looking at a Miracle".

Saul was a 26 year old identified as a hopeful bicycling future-professional, but he endured a terrible crash and suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. First, I strongly suggest that you find a copy of the Bicycling magazine and article noted above and read it. Second, I highly recommend that you visit Saul's website and read about how the TBI affected his life. The magazine is a one-time snapshot of his accident and his recovery. However, his website is an ongoing chronicle of the events of his life.

Or look at Dave shields website for Dave and Saul's book, Tour de Life. I received a Dave Shields' autographed copy of Tour de Life and a "Celebration of Life" bracelet (like the ones popularized by Lance Armstrong) as Christmas presents from dear friends of mine.

I've been reading Tour de Life and I've learned some astounding information about brain injury. Here is an excerpt that demonstrates this:

"Slow down Saul. Your manners are embarrassing," Yvonne said.
"The brain uses huge amounts of energy," Pat explained. "Repairing it requires lots of fuel. Metabolism can more than double for brain-injured patients. It's good that his appetite is so big."
Metabolism doubles? Saul normally ate three to four thousand calories a day. Could he really start putting away eight thousand calories every twenty-four hours. She put her hand on Pat's. "I can't tell you how refreshing it is to have someone explain simple things to me. For weeks I've been confused and terrified by my son's behavior. It makes a huge difference to know he's doing what should be expected."

1 comment:

Dave Shields said...

Hey Joe,
I just stumbled upon your post. I hope you are doing well. I'm glad you found some good information in the book. It was an amazing experience to work with Saul in writing it.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields