Sunday, May 10, 2009

Celebrating a SERIOUS Accomplishment with Al

I joined my good friend Al as he completed a streak of 700 consecutive weeks running at least 3 days a week, AND at least 10 miles a week. On this particular day, 4/23/2009, I merely rode my mountain bike while Al ran along the same roads. He began his streak in October of 1995. 700 weeks may not seem like a remarkable feat, but one must put that accomplishment in perspective. Seven hundred consecutive weeks exceeds 13 years. While 10 miles per week doesn't seem exceptional, there are countless reasons to end such a streak, such as weather, injury, vacation, business trips, etc. Seven hundred consecutive weeks is simply astounding. I also joined Al to celebrate his 100, 500, and 600 week milestones.

Al and I holding his handmade “700” banner
<----
<----
<----
I cherish and value Al as a friend. Al has been my camping buddy since our UConn days. Al has sacrificed his own conditioning to be a part of my recovery. Al credits me with introducing him to many competitive individual sports, such as triathlon. When we were living in Italy, Lynn came to join me at the hospital after my serious accident and Lynn called Al to inform him about my condition. Al dissolved his sorrows while completing a run at Hammonasett State Park, near his home.

No comments: